Sunday, June 13, 2010

When Work Invades My Home!

For those of you who don't know, I'm a Teacher Librarian 3 days a week.  At this time of year, for teachers all around Australia, it is one of the most stressful.  Report Writing Time!  I am lucky not to be a classroom teacher as their workload is massive and is becoming more demanding with the added pressures of performance based ratings such as NAPLAN and My Schools, the introduction of the new Australian Curriculum as well as considering school based policy and programs, and those of your local state or Territory. Not to mention to find time to mould their students into responsible citizens, teach them to be courteous, how to dress themselves, monitor their eating habits, social behaviour...oh and to read, write, spell and add!

Even though I am a mere TL, I still have a big workload.  I teach 210 students in 3 days and that means marking 210 assignments!  This is what my kitchen table looks like today:


I set my Year 6 students a research task on an Aussie Icon of their choice.  Their range of choices were really diverse (although as I teach only boys most chose sport or motor sports of course!)

As much as I moan about bringing all this work home - and on a long weekend too - I must say that I am so impressed with the young men I teach and the quality of the work they have produced...but I'd better have these marked and delivered back to them on Tuesday or they may stage a revolt against me, so I'd better get back to it.

Enjoy your long weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Oh you know we mummies all love the library teachers at school!! You add a special soft approach to the love of books for some resistant students. Those assignments would have been fascinating. love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise, Just wanted to say hi and find out whether your son liked his new picture that you bought him. After market fever died down I was really happy with the way things went for my first market. Hope all is well, and I must agree with Posie, we do all love those library teachers at school!! Thought it might be nice to catch up sometime in between markets. Enjoying your blog by the way. Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'A mere TL'...we are anything but 'mere'!!! (-: The projects all looked fab and is probably mostly down to your enthusiasm for your teaching of those munchkins.

    ReplyDelete